As army deployment is delayed, 43 murdered over bloody Cape Town weekend

Please log in or register to like posts.
Nuus


Of the 43 people who were murdered, at least 25 were shot.

Addressing the media at the end of the weekend crime summit on Sunday, Cele said that he and Winde had been threatening to take each other to court but that after the positive dialogue between the two of them over the weekend the intergovernmental dispute was now “off the table”.

Winde disagreed saying, “During the weekend’s crime summit, I committed to working with SAPS to ensure that policing in this province is a top priority for all concerned. However, Minister Cele has taken this to mean that we have withdrawn our intergovernmental dispute. The dispute is still in place,” he said. 

The dispute revolves around policing resources in the provincial police which Winde believes is understaffed. 

“We agreed to work together and committed that our government will partner in any way possible to make this province safer. We will discuss the intergovernmental dispute and various other commitments made during the Crime Summit, at our cabinet meeting on Wednesday. We will also be meeting with the national police commissioner, General Sithole, later this week. We will only withdraw the dispute if we can see a working partnership, with agreements in place that will make this province safer,” he said.

“This weekend’s murder rate is proof that there is no time to waste in deploying the army, and I call on Minister Cele and President Ramaphosa to get the paperwork out of the way as quickly as possible so that no more lives are wasted,” added Winde.





Source link

Reactions

0
0
0
0
0
0
Already reacted for this post.

Reactions

Nobody liked ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.