Jan 16, 2019The Eastern Cape death toll on the roads over the Festive Season is a sad indictment of a failing African National Congress (ANC) government that has neglected its responsibilities, the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape said on Wednesday.”With the second highest fatalities in the country, the province saw 238 people lose their lives in 195 car accidents. This is up from the previous season, where 213 lives were lost in 173 accidents from 1 December 2017 to 15 January 2018,” explained Marshall von Buchenroder (MPL), DA Eastern Cape Shadow MEC for Transport.”It is clear MEC Weziwe Tikana’s intervention strategy has failed to reduce the number of fatalities on the roads. This is simply unacceptable. One life lost is a life too many.”Where is the 24-hour law enforcement that we were promised during her budget speech last year?”Eastern Cape records third highest number of festive season road deathsDA to write to MEC over Eastern Cape festive season road deathsVon Buchenroder said he will be submitting questions to the MEC to explain why the 24-hour traffic law enforcement programme has not been implemented, and to request a detailed breakdown on initiatives over the festive season.”The fact that 90% of road deaths over this period have been attributed to human factors is a clear indication of the blatant disregard for the rules of the road,” he described.”Traffic officials need to come down hard on unlawful road users whose behaviour puts their own lives and those of others in danger.”People must be given the opportunity to get into a vehicle knowing that there is proper law enforcement on the roads, 24-hours a day.”A safe and secure transport network in this province is critical if we are to have any hope of growing the economy.”Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Western Cape click here.