Hundreds of unoccupied flats, which have been vandalised by thugs, are under guard. Most of the flats, which were part of a project started in 2011, in the Eastern Cape have had their doors, window panels, roofs and bricks removed.Nelson Mandela Bay’s head of human settlements Andile Mfunda visited the flats in Motherwell NU29 on Tuesday.He was with ward 54 councillor Morgan Tshaka and head of municipal security Lungiselelo Matikinca. Mfunda said: “We cannot allow vandalism to take place.“I spoke with the department of security and they assured me security personnel will be deployed today to guard the flats, day and night.” He said he would meet with the department of housing next week to ensure the flats are fixed and their beneficiaries move in. Mfundo also said he was disappointed in the community for not guarding the flats. Councillor Tshaka said two people died in the flats last year.One of them was a 14-year-old girl who was raped and burned and the other was a man who collapsed and died at the top of the building.He also urged the community to report vandalism. Project manager Ayanda Sobikwa said the building had 2101 single and duplex flats.“Out of these, 730 are duplex flats and 330 of them were completed while 400 are still unfinished. The single flats were all completed. I request the beneficiaries to come and settle into the temporary shelter while their flats are being fixed. This will combat vandalism.”
Already reacted for this post.