From Patrick Hall, the Community Development Manager of our service provider, Vetus Schola.
9 Safety tips for Christmas shopping. Christmas shopping will be in full swing soon and while we wind down to enjoy the silly season, prowlers are gearing up to do some “shopping” of their own. Here are nine tips that you can keep in mind when you do your Christmas shopping.
• Be aware of remote jamming, double check that your car is locked before walking off.
• Plan your purchases ahead of time. Save your most expensive purchases for last, so you can head directly home afterwards.
• Be careful how you handle your money. Don’t flash the cash while paying for items or count out your money in public.
• Don’t leave your handbag in the shopping trolley while you shop.
• Never leave your shopping parcels unattended, even for a few minutes.
• Limit the number of shopping bags you are carrying, so that you can keep track of everything. Combine your purchases into one or two large shopping bags.
• Teach your children to scream when some stranger grabs them, make sure they know what to do if they get separated from you. Point out a security guard so they know where and who to go to for help if they do get lost.
• Be prepared when you approach your car. Get your car keys out before you leave the shopping mall and do not remotely unlock your car until you’re right by it.
• Keep your shopping bags in the boot of your car and out of sight, as this will limit your chances of smash and grabs. Shopping bags in plain view will make you a target when stopping at traffic lights.