Message from: Country Animal Clinic We have unfortunately had some reports of pet poisonings…

Please log in or register to like posts.
News

Update
Helderberg

Message from: Country Animal Clinic

We have unfortunately had some reports of pet poisonings in our area. Here’s what to do if your pet is poisoned:

1. Look for signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, seizures and shivering. These are symptoms of the most common malicious poisons (eg organophosphate and carbamates and snail baits). Some poisons only show symptoms up to a week later (eg rat poison). So even if the animal looks fine, if you think it has ingested poison it needs to be taken to your vet immediately. All types of poisoning are emergencies.
2. For topical exposures like accidental spraying with weed killer or accidentally giving tick and flea products meant for dogs to a cat, bath your pet in lukewarm water with a mild dish soap to remove the poison from the fur.
3. If the poison is ingested, induced vomiting is usually the quickest course of action but first check with your vet if this is the right course of action for that particular poison. Make sure your dog is conscious then pour a handful of salt or washing powder down the dog’s throat. This should cause vomiting almost immediately. This can be repeated once more. Only induce vomiting if the animal ingested the poison within the last two hours.
4. The best care is prevention. Keep all potential poisons safely and securely stored away. Do not allow your dog to roam.

Reactions

0
0
0
0
0
0
Already reacted for this post.

Reactions

Nobody liked ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.