KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala
NEWLY appointed KZN Premier, Sihle Zikalala, on Monday announced the new MECs that will serve during his term of office.
The 10 MECs that will lead the provincial government departments are:
• Agriculture and Rural Development: MEC Bongi Sithole-Moloi
• Arts and Culture, Sports and Recreation- MEC Hlengiwe Mavimbela
• Co-operative Governance & Traditional Affairs – MEC Sipho Hlomuka
• Transport, Community Safety and Liaison- MEC Mxolisi Kaunda
• Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs – MEC Nomusa Dube-Mncube
• Education- MEC Kwazi Mshengu
• Health – MEC Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu
• Social Development – MEC Nonhlanhla Khoza
• Provincial Treasury – MEC Ravi Pillay
• Public Works- Peggy Nkonyeni
Speaking during his inauguration on Monday morning, Zikalala said over the next few weeks, ‘the incoming administration will consolidate and begin to implement a comprehensive plan to ensure growth and development of our province’.
He said they will prioritise basic services, job creation, growing the economy and small businesses, as well as education and human settlement.
‘One of the major focus areas of this administration will be to develop and implement a clear plan to provide housing to all people who stay in temporary houses.
He said his team will also work to build a peaceful province.
‘Crime has equally become a scourge in many areas. People live in fear as criminals embark on a reign of terror in communities.
‘The situation is compounded by the lack of effective responses from law enforcement agencies because of apparent lack of capacity, inadequate resources, or alleged lack of commitment from the police.
‘We will monitor the functioning of all police stations which have high levels of crime and ensure that we take necessary interventions,’ he said.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
For news straight to your phone invite us:
WhatsApp – 072 069 4169
Instagram – zululand_observer