Beachgoers arrived to find a bright red tidal pool this morning.
The bright red water in Grannies Pool in Ballito caused some alarm this morning – but fears that the water had been poisoned were quickly dispelled.
According to Ballito UIP operational manager, Dieter Fittkau the chemical which was non-toxic and biodegradable was used by a local contractor who was performing a flood test at a residential apartment located off the Ballito promenade.
Also read: Street lights remain a burning issue
However, KDM’s head life-guard Bongani Xulu said companies had a responsibility to dispose of chemicals responsibly as lots of people don’t know what a storm-water drain is or where the water ends up.
“It’s important for people to know that it is illegal to discharge any substances into the municipality’s storm-water system.
“Pollutants that go into storm-water system end up in the ocean and can affect coastal water quality,” said Xulu.
Be the first to receive breaking news straight to your device with our newly launched push notifications! Simply visit our website and click on the icon shown above.
Do you want to receive news alerts from The North Coast Courier via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.
Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram