Phoenix man burnt to death in flat fire

Please log in or register to like posts.
Nuus
Phoenix man burnt to death in flat fire

Update
Phoenix Durban

The victim was burnt to death on his bed.

A 45-year-old Phoenix man allegedly burnt to death in his flat after his bed caught alight in Rainbird, Phoenix, last Wednesday.
The Rainbird resident who had been living alone allegedly had no electricity for years, thus forcing him to use candles.
A burning candle that was left unsupervised is allegedly the cause of the fire which broke out in his bedroom. It caused excessive damage to the rest of his two bedroom flat, which was situated on the second floor of the block of flats.
ALSO READ: Child (3) killed in Verulam shack fire
According to the victim’s neighbours who refused to be mentioned in fear of being harassed by the family, revealed that the man had suffered multiple episodes of stroke and that his health had started to deteriorate after his wife left him.
“He could not talk properly or even walk without the assistance of a walking stick or someone supporting him. He had to stop working because of his deteriorating health, which led to his electricity and water being cut,” a neighbour said.
“We used to cook for him and give him water. We as the community even went as far as hiring a guard to assist him in taking care of himself,” another neighbour revealed.

On the morning of the fire, one of the neighbours recall seeing smoke escaping the door and windows and seeing his lifeless body burning on the bed. “I ran back down stairs to my flat to call for help,” the neighbour said.
Speaking to the Phoenix Sun, Phoenix SAPS communications officer, Cpt Cheryl Pillay confirmed that an inquest docket was opened and that the fire was a result of a candle stick that was left unattended.
ALSO READ: The importance of fire safety 
Bheki Hadebe, regional fire department commander, revealed that the firefighters attended the scene and where able to put out the fire.
“We as the fire department urge community members to stay safe by monitoring burning candles and keep flammables and lighters from little children at all times,” Hadebe said.  The victim was laid to rest on Saturday, February 2.
Visit our sister sites for more news in the respective areas: 
Rising Sun Chatsworth
Rising Sun Overport 

Share this page to Telegram

Reactions

0
0
0
0
0
0
Already reacted for this post.

Reactions

Nobody liked ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.