Over the last few years, Black Friday has become increasingly popular in South Africa. Black Friday falls on November 23 this year.
Dozens of stores are expected to offer great discounts and tempting deals all weekend. Here are some tips to prepare yourself for the biggest shopping day of the year:
1. Have a plan. It is important to know what you want, need and can afford. Make a list of the things you want, set a budget beforehand and stick to it. Do not get yourself into debt buying things you do not need.
2. Most online stores start their sales at midnight. Set an alarm clock for 23.45pm so you can get all your devices ready to start shopping. Also make sure you have sufficient data before you go online.
3. Before the sale starts, make sure you have an account on the websites you want to buy from. Also make sure that you have up-to-date payment information. On the day, websites get overloaded, and you may get frustrated by timeouts and server errors while trying to do this kind of admin.
4. Team up with a small group of family or friends. Each person should be tasked with getting different items from different stores. Others can wait in the queue while you are shopping.
5. Scammers and criminals will be on the prowl. When shopping online, make sure you’re shopping on secure sites. Stick to known brands and trusted retailers. Credit card payments that ask you for a supplementary one-time PIN such as verified by Visa; Snapscan; and PayPal are all good options. Keep an eye on your belongings.
6. If the stores you love have an app, download them ASAP. This will make it easier for you to browse the items on offer and you will also get notifications of discounts. Most apps also offer promotions and free delivery for first-time down-loaders.
7. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, this will allow you to shop as long as you want to without being affected by tired feet. It will also aid you in beating your fellow shoppers to the isle of those great deals.