TODDLER KILLED IN SHACK FIRE

Please log in or register to like posts.
Nuus
TODDLER KILLED IN SHACK FIRE

A KID tragically died in a shack fire on Monday. Two-year-old Khwezi Mlingo lost her life after a candle apparently fell over at her home in Enkanini squatter camp, near Bonela in Durban. Witness Mlungisi Mokoena said the incident happened shortly after a power cut. “Their mum lit a candle and left the kids to go check with other residents what was causing the power outage. We suspect the candle fell over,” he said. Mlungisi said instead of running out for help, the kids tried to put out the fire themselves. “It was already too late when two of the kids, aged eight and 12, called for help, leaving the two-year-old inside. “We rushed to help but the fire was too big and there was no water. We called the firefighters but they didn’t arrive on time.” Abahlali baseMjondolo president Sbu Zikode, who visited the family after the incident, said the tragedy could’ve been avoided. “If there was proper electricity, water and houses, we wouldn’t have had this incident,” he told Daily Sun. When the SunTeam visited the kasi yesterday, the parents were not home as they were busy with funeral arrangements. Acting eThekwini mayor Fawzia Peer said: “We’ve been appealing to parents not to leave their children alone.” KZN police spokeswoman Colonel Thembeka Mbele said an inquest docket was opened by Cato Manor cops.

Share this page to Telegram

Reactions

0
0
0
0
0
0
Already reacted for this post.

Reactions

Nobody liked ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.